Thursday, July 1, 2004

The story behind A Cat of Impossible Colour

Mink

Where did the name come from?

It came from a dream I had. At least, I think it did. The way I remember it, I woke up in the middle of the night worried about my place in the universe, and my husband said, "Don't worry, you'll be fine." I asked him how he knew, and he said, "You're unique. Like a cat of impossible colour."

He insists I dreamt this. I insist this happened. Either way, it doesn't really matter. I love cats, I love colour, and I love impossibilities. It seemed to fit.

Why did you start a blog?

I started this blog in 2004, when I was in my second year of university, because I have a compulsive need to record everything and my handwriting is indecipherable. Mostly I complained about essays and assignments. I abandoned it when I started my first grown-up job, at a publishing company, and had no time for A Life Outside Work. My life fell apart in spectacular fashion shortly afterwards, in lots of different and imaginative ways, and I quit my job in 2007 to do what I had always wanted to do - write full time. I started this blog to document that process. I can't believe how far it's come since 2007, and I am so grateful for the support and friendship I have found in the blogging community.

So you really write full-time?

Yes, but believe me, I'm certainly nowhere near making a living from writing fiction yet. All the authors I know, including me, have to do complicated mathematics in their heads before buying a cup of coffee. To supplement my income, I work as a freelance writer and editor, doing everything from technical manuals to the blurbs on the back of juice bottles. I am married, and my husband is wonderful and does not mind me making an annual income smaller than a gnat. Or a gnat's income.

Your cat is cute.

Yes. Yes he is.

I notice that he is not of an impossible colour, though.

No, he's black.

How can I get in touch with you directly?

Find out here.

Why vintage?

I've always been inspired by looks that seem to have a story behind them. Wearing vintage makes you into a character - whether it's a character from a children's book, an old musical or a movie.

People sometimes ask why I bother to get dressed up if I'm working from home and no one sees me during the day. I find I think and work better when I'm dressed well, and feel more motivated. Even if I'm not going to see anyone, I feel better knowing that I'm dressed in a way that expresses who I am. And it adds a bit of fun, colour and creativity to my morning before I've even started writing.

Since I only buy second-hand clothing, I accumulate a lot of vintage and constantly need to make room! I sell it off here.

Thanks for coming!

I'm so happy you're here. And I'd like to meet you. Leave me a comment if you'd like to say hello!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...