Wednesday, July 29, 2009

The New Forest

29 July 09
I'm standing outside Soup Vintage in Lymington - it had just stopped raining, and so I'm a bit rained-on and windblown. Didn't find anything to take home with me (lots of 70s polyester), but it was a lovely shop. We had a cup of coffee at The Buttery down the road, where the scones were like little boulders. We gamely swallowed them down anyway (stiff upper lip and all that. They could easily have been used as battle scones by Discworld dwarfs), and I think they might lodge in our small intestines until we are very, very old.

LOML was much better today (thanks for the get-well wishes), and so we meandered about the New Forest, stopping at various little towns along the way: Lymington, Brocklehurst and Beaulieu, among others.
We saw dozens of New Forest ponies grazing at the roadside, and stopped to photograph a few. I tried to entice one to eat from my hand, but it ignored me. Rather ostentatiously, in fact. It kept turning its back on me and looking away, as if we had had an embarrassing one-night-stand several months ago and it was pretending it didn't recognise me.
New Forest ponies
New Forest ponies
P.S. Happy birthday to BestFriendAlly! She is twenty-two today. Sorry I can't be there, and I hope you have a fantastic day.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...