Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Pregnant on a Christian Campus

Last week I had a conversation with a colleague on campus about a female student in her class who is pregnant out of wedlock. Due to issues related to the pregnancy the student is going to miss more classes than had been anticipated. My colleague was working with the student to get something worked out. Hovering over the conversation was the student behavioral code and if the student could continue at ACU. My colleague was making inquiries about this with Student Life and our Legal Services, wondering about the relationship between our behavioral policies at a Christian school and compliance with Title IX, the Equal Opportunity in Education Act.

Now, I don't want to say anything about that particular aspect of this story (the ability of a religious institution to make student conduct decisions based upon its religious values). I do, however, want to raise the question that my colleague and I were discussing:

What about the boy?

Sexual ethics and religious freedom issues aside, isn't it a bit unfair that the girl's life is affected in a way the father's life is not? And how to address that asymmetry?

I understand that my school might want to address the morality of the situation when a student is pregnant out of wedlock. But, as I see it, the moral issue is nine months in the rearview mirror. What we have right now is a biological and medical situation, not a moral situation. More, by only ever dealing with one person of the pair we are creating what I feel is a very unjust situation, with pregnant female students subject to discipline and their male counterparts never addressed. And why? Simply because pregnancy is visible, the modern equivalent of the Scarlet Letter on a Christian campus or in a church.

Moreover, if our institution is going to promote pro-Life values why create a culture that disincentivizes bringing the baby to term? That is, why create a world where the young woman, upon learning of the pregnancy, has to place being an ACU graduate in the balance? Shouldn't we want to take our thumb off that scale?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...