Sunday, March 15, 2009

Interview post (part two)

Finally! Sorry about the wait. Interspersed with silly pictures because, well, why not.
Maura said, "As I'm beginning the college process, I can't help but ask about life after school. So when did you know that you wanted to be a novelist? Did you ever see yourself in any other profession?"

I always knew that I wanted to write - well, as soon as I knew what books were! I wrote my first 'book' when I was about six years old. I think it was ten pages long. I wrote my first novel-length book a few years later, and from then on I always had a novel-length project on the go. I did think about other professions, though, because people told me being a novelist wasn't a 'real' job and I would never make enough money to support myself. I made a brief foray into journalism and hated it (I'm too shy and hated interviewing ... also was slightly traumatised when asked to interview someone over the phone and find out whether or not they were gay. Worst conversation of my life), and then worked as an editor at a publishing company for a while. I am formally qualified as an editor, and I enjoy the work a lot. I still do freelance editing and copywriting under my company name of Play on Words Ltd.

Andrea said, "A possible question about writing I'd ask you is for any thoughts on different types of writing you might do and the connections between them. Novels vs short stories vs poetry vs non fiction."

I actually find short stories the hardest thing to write, because they represent a sort of middle ground between poetry and novel-length prose. A poem can be a snapshot, a fleeting image or impression that doesn't need to be developed further but can stand alone. A novel allows you to fully explore and develop ideas and characters. A short story, to me, is more difficult because it represents an uneasy middle ground. As a result of this, I find that most short stories I write turn out to be the germ of a larger idea - both my Masters novel and the one I started at the end of last year emerged from short stories that I wanted to develop further.

I enjoy writing poetry, but it's something that I go through phases with. There will be months where I'm furiously penning one a day, followed by months of nothing at all. I'm currently in the 'nothing at all' phase. I haven't yet worked out whether this has any correlation with mood or life events - it doesn't seem to.


Lizz said, "I'm curious to how you came to fall in love with your signature vintage look!"

I've always been inspired by looks that seem to have a story behind them. Wearing vintage makes you into a character - whether it's a character from a children's book, an old musical, a movie or something else. I have always dressed 'weirdly' (according to people at school and university) ... in high school this took the form of long skirts with bells on, ponchos, Indian shirts and tons of jewellery. In university, it took the form of long leather coats, lace gloves and Gothic dresses with ribbons on the bodice and lots of lace. This all changed when I started work in a publishing company, and I found the dress code very uninspiring. When I went back to post-grad study, however, I could wear what I wanted again. It has taken me many years to get to the style I have now, but I feel very 'myself' in what I wear these days.

This blog and the wardrobe_remix group have had an enormous influence on my confidence and style. It took me a while to get comfortable with wearing what I wanted to wear and not caring what people might think. The blogging community gave me a lot more confidence and encouragement, and seeing other women expressing themselves through their clothing inspired me to do the same.

One of the things I love about wearing vintage is the friends you make! Sounds weird, but it's true. Quite apart from online friends, people on the street sometimes come up to me and make a comment about what I'm wearing, and we have a little conversation. It's usually older ladies, I find, but I like that.


Shannon asked, "Where and when did you meet your hubby? and what did you do your original degree in?"

I met my husband on an Alpha course at university in 2003. He was in his Honours year, and I was in first year. We've been together for nearly six years now - wow!

My original degree was in English Literature and Theatre and Film Studies (I focused on theatre, which I regret now - I think taking more film classes would have been more my thing. I enjoyed theatre and used to be very active in amateur dramatics and the like, but I haven't auditioned for anything for a couple of years). I also took French, Sociology and Religious Studies.

Casey asked, "Do you have any favorite places in the US? Places that you like to visit when you come here?"

I haven't actually been to many places in the States. Well, that's an understatement. I've been to two cities: LA and Seattle. I didn't really connect with LA, but I LOVED Seattle. Just loved it. Good coffee, good bookstores, good independent media, good restaurants, great people. And it's a beautiful city, too! I loved it so much I thought I might even want to move there.

There's a lot more of the States I want to see - Portland in particular, because I'm always reading about it on people's blogs and it sounds like such a great creative centre. We're probably going to be Stateside for a while this August when we go on our travels - don't know where yet, but I'll keep you posted, as it would be wonderful to meet up with other bloggers if possible.

Lise asked whether I believe in Jesus.


This is a hard one, because I don't usually discuss my beliefs with people any more. I guess the honest answer is that I'm not sure. I used to be very religious, but haven't been for a few years now, for various reasons. My background is Christian, however.

CK asked "Jewellery - do you wear gold or silver?" and "What is your favourite smell ever?"


I actually don't wear jewellery very often - largely because I am one of nature's fiddlers (as in, I fiddle with things. I'm certainly not one of nature's violinists). If I'm wearing a necklace, bracelet or earrings, I play with them all day and drive myself and everyone around me crazy. The only set I really love to wear is this pearl one, which I wore at my wedding (it's a family heirloom):

I do wear some jewellery all the time, however: my watch, which was a gift from my mother for my 21st birthday; my engagement and wedding rings, for obvious reasons; and two rings on my right hand, as well. They are my mother's engagement ring from my father, and his wedding ring, which was re-sized to fit. He died in a car accident, so these two rings are very special to me.

I have lots of favourite smells! My husband's skin, my grandmother's perfume, my cat's fur (he smells like a clean teddy bear), freshly-washed laundry, lavender and roses (big cliches, I know), the smell of a meal cooking when I'm really hungry, coffee brewing, furniture polish and fresh cigarette smoke - that last one's a bit weird, I know. (And no, I don't smoke).


Miss Lady Finger asked, "What does your husband do?"

My husband is a software engineer, but he also does some photography on the side - weddings, commercial shoots and the like.

Josashimi asked if I wear all these outfits when I'm working from home, by myself.

Yes! I do. I find I think and work better when I'm dressed well, and feel more motivated. Even if I'm not going to see anyone, I feel better knowing that I'm dressed in a way that expresses who I am. And it adds a bit of fun, colour and creativity to my morning before I've even started writing.

Thanks for the questions, everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...