Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Fa-la-la-la-la, la-la-la ... ugh.


This is unrelated, but I found a statue of a sabre-toothed tiger last night and I thought the world needed to know.

I am hijacking the blog to have a bit of a rant today.

I love Christmas. I love everything about Christmas - the food, the songs, the presents, the pretty twinkling lights, the rapidly-expanding waistline. Well, not the last thing. But everything else. Christmas in the States is particularly joyous because it seems that everyone gets equally excited about it, and coffee develops interesting flavours like Gingerbread and Pumpkin Spice.

My indomitable Christmas spirit, however, is swiftly becoming domitable.

We live opposite a store that plays Christmas music. This is fine. What is not fine is that this Christmas music plays - loudly - twenty-four hours a day. Literally.

Here is a short summary of last night's experience:

11:30pm (bedtime): Feliz Navidad.

2:30am (first waking): Silent Night. Ironic.

4:30am (second waking): Oh Holy Night - the really screechy Mariah Carey version.

6:30am (third waking): I'll be Home for Christmas followed by Baby It's Cold Outside.

And it is LOUD. We have double-glazed windows and very good insulation, and yet I can hear all the words. My brain sings along. Christmas music has started to infiltrate my dreams - even dreams about robots and the End of the World. This shop is not open all night, but the music blares on for an audience of crickets, owls and sleeping people.

I went in yesterday to speak to the manager and, apparently, the store cannot control the music. It is, instead, controlled by HEADQUARTERS (I started thinking of 1984 at this point). HEADQUARTERS decrees that, during the month of December, Christmas music must play constantly from every branch of this store across America, and nothing is going to alter this decree in the slightest. Therefore, we must put up with this midnight assault on our eardrums until ... Boxing Day? Or New Year's Day? Hopefully just Boxing Day.

This means that I am grumpy for a good hour after I wake up and will be for the next (at least) three days. That is all.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...