Saturday, August 29, 2009

Laguna Beach!

Sorry for the absence, everyone! After the 11-hour flight from London (which felt like nothing after the 36-hour trip from New Zealand, and which I spent watching Benny and Joon twice), I've been relaxing in Laguna Beach for the past few days. Our hotel is right on the beach, and we've been having breakfast on the terrace every morning, overlooking the breaking waves.





I spent Thursday and Friday relaxing on the beach, reading and developing a mild addiction to iced tea and mocha frappuccinos while LOML was working. I also got sunburned. I fell asleep in the shade, and woke up to find that it was no longer the shade and that I had turned a delicate shade of puce. Sunburn is rather like a hangover: no one has much sympathy, because it is avoidable and self-inflicted. But it's sore!



Today we drove out to Huntington Beach and Newport Beach ...

... and this afternoon we visited Fashion Island. Oh my goodness. Betsey Johnson and Kate Spade. So many polka-dots, so much tulle; heavenly. I was hoping that a game show host with too many teeth would appear and offer me a giant wad of cash, but no luck. We also went to the pet store, where there was a disproportionate amount of tiny and expensive dogs. Very cute, though. The shop assistant asked us if we were looking for a dog. We said that we would love one, but that we live in New Zealand.
"They have planes for animals, you know," she said.
Oh well then, it's a completely practical idea.

We're relaxing in the hotel room for a bit, and then we'll head out in search of dinner. And tomorrow night we leave for New Zealand! I'm really looking forward to getting home again - seeing friends and family, getting stuck into work and a routine again and, most importantly, picking up Mink! I've missed him so much.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...