Friday, August 21, 2009

On the beach

21 August 09
My beautiful grandmother and I went for a long walk along the seafront this morning, to a neighbouring town. It's a place popular with holidaymakers (or 'grockles', as my great-grandmother calls them. I'm not sure of the spelling - or if there is an official spelling - so please tell me if you know!).
My beautiful grandmother
Beach huts
I love beach huts. They remind me of the Wendy-house I had when I was little - everything in miniature, right down to the little hob for the kettle! There is something quintessentially English about sheltering from the sand-speckled wind in your beach hut, drinking a cup of tea and eating a ginger biscuit (which you dunk in your tea, of course).

I can't believe we only have another four days here before we fly to L.A. It has gone past so quickly. I am already starting to miss everyone, even though I haven't left yet, and everything feels remembered and nostalgic even as it is happening - as if I'm looking back on it all from somwhere far in the future. It's awful living so far away from family, especially as they are all getting older.

P.S. A couple of you have asked how long I'm in the L.A. area. Only for four days! We're actually staying in Laguna Beach, not Newport Beach (which was the original plan).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...