Friday, November 6, 2009

Countryside

We spent the day in the country with my mum and her husband, and now I am dreaming about farmhouse kitchens, fresh-laid eggs and vegetable gardens. Idyllic! I would go completely mad living in the country, I know, but I can't wait until we own our own place in the city and I can keep chickens again.

I have just started my Nanowrimo work for the day. I love how putting a book together feels like doing a jigsaw puzzle (for me, anyway): you find a bit of blue sky, a piece of someone's face, perhaps a hand or a window, and you start making these disconnected images into something coherent (helped along by those all-important corner and side pieces - the ones that give the whole thing shape). I hardly ever write chronologically. For me, it is as if the whole story exists somewhere already, and I'm uncovering it bit by bit, scene by scene, in no particular order, until the whole thing is revealed.

How do you write? Chronologically, or with a jigsaw method like mine? Or some other way entirely?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...