Sunday, November 15, 2009

Shiny New Thing

Thank you to all of you who let me know that I had been featured on the Queens of Vintage Top 100 list - I was so thrilled to see it! I love Queens of Vintage, and feel very honoured to be a part of their feature.

An idea for a new book has been percolating in the back of my mind for a while. Yesterday, when I was mired in a particularly difficult writing moment, it started tap-dancing in my forebrain. "Look at me! Look at me!" It was Shiny. It was New. It was much more exciting than what I was working on. So I did look at it. And, naturally, I became completely distracted - I created a new folder on my computer, wrote reams of notes and started writing the first chapter. It was only when I had written 2,500 words that I realised I had been seduced by its Shiny Newness and had completely abandoned poor little Current Book. Whoops!

All books begin as Shiny New Ideas. There's nothing wrong with them. I think, however, that the key is to finish what you're working on first, and to dangle the new thing in front of yourself like a carrot, to give you an incentive. And, of course, the Shiny New Thing will become a Tedious Fatiguing Thing at some point, too, and up will pop a new idea. The cycle continues.

This post was just going to be about Shiny New Ideas, but I actually thrifted something shiny and new (to me) this afternoon, on the way back from visiting my nephew - an emerald-green satin 1950s cocktail dress! So gorgeous, I can't wait to show it to you.

In other news, I went to visit my friend Christina's new bunny rabbit yesterday. His name is Brett - they have a cat called Murray, so there's a bit of a theme developing. Isn't he cute?


Band meeting!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...