Monday, December 28, 2009

Goodbye, 2009!

Hello, everyone! I am back from my Christmas break a bit fatter but a lot more relaxed. I hope you all had a wonderful Christmas with family and friends.

It has been a typical Christchurch day - warm and fine in the morning, cold and windy in the afternoon. I'm actually quite pleased to get some cooler weather, though, as it means I can wear this velvet jacket that I thrifted last week! That thing on the floor behind me is one of Mink's Christmas pressies - a catnip mouse. He had more presents than we did (as usual), and they are strewn all over the house in varying stages of disintegration. Sorry about the bad photo quality - my camera is dying of old age, I'm afraid. Poor thing.

I can't believe that it's almost 2010. I have no idea what the new year holds - exciting plans are afoot for us but are not yet confirmed and solidified, which means that the whole year is going to be fairly unpredictable. It has been a big year, though - an amazing year - and I wanted to look back on some of the major events in my 2009.
1) Had a major breakthrough regarding The Cry of the Go-away Bird, and completely rewrote it. So glad I did! As well as improving the book, it taught me an awful lot about plot, structure and story.
2) Successfully completed a film for the 48-hour film festival with LOML and friends.
3) After many rejections, signed with a wonderful agent!
4) Got a new haircut! And then another one.
5) Was mugged. I still find that weird.
6) Signed a publication contract with Harvill Secker, an imprint of Random House UK!
7) Went on a six-week trip to Europe with LOML, stopping in the States on the way back. I met my agent and editor in person for the first time - very exciting! - and we visited both our families, which was lovely. I also visited Germany for the first time.
8) Made my best thrift find ever, and wore it!
9) Completed my Masters with High Distinction.
10) Finished the first draft of my second novel (still a long way to go, though).
11) LOML and I welcomed our nephew, Thomas, into the world!
I don't make traditional resolutions: instead, I like to choose a word that describes how I would like my year to be. For 2010, that word is 'mindful' - I want to be more present and aware in my everyday life, and appreciate every moment - particularly as it will be a year of big change for us. What word would you use to describe your hopes for 2010?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...