Saturday, January 23, 2010

Everything I Know About Thrifting I: Getting Started

Thank you so much for all of your responses to my previous post! It was fascinating reading all your reasons for thrifting. I can honestly say that I agree with every single one of them: thrifting is a fantastic hobby, and I like nothing better than spending a day rummaging through piles of musty, discarded stuff to find a treasure.

In reading through the comments, I saw that quite a few of you had requested some thrifting tips. I became over-excited, as I do, and decided that I'm going to write a series of posts this week covering every single thing I have learned about thrifting over the years in ridiculous detail, in the hopes that it will be helpful to someone: from sifting through the rubbish for gems to incorporating your thrifted finds into your wardrobe. There are a lot of great guides to thrifting out there already, and you will have to forgive me if I tell you things you already know (and I know that a lot of you are fantastic thrifters who don't need any help at all!), but I hope this will be fun, at the very least.

(Just a side-note on the terminology: 'thrifting' is a North American term, as far as I'm aware, and I use it on the blog because it seems to be the most commonly-used word for secondhand clothes shopping. In real life, however, I prefer calling it by the Down-Under term of 'op-shopping' - short for 'opportunity shopping.' To me, 'thrifting' sounds sort of clenched and virtuous, whereas I'm usually filled with a sort of guilty glee when op-shopping, as if I'm getting away with something wicked ... and it certainly opens up opportunities!)

We're starting at the very beginning (a very good place to start, etc): planning your thrifting trip!

Finding thrift stores

The easiest ways to find good thrift stores in your area are:

1. Asking around

Stylish friends will know the best places - and, even if you don't have friends who share your thrifting enthusiasm, there are probably a couple of bloggers in your area whom you can consult.

2. Looking online and in the phone book

Less reliable for finding the good spots than asking real, live people, but still a good way to find the second-hand stores in your vicinity.

3. Exploring

I don't know if you're the same, but I always seem to spot new thrift stores when I'm driving past on my way to something important, which means I can't stop. I do make a note of the location, though, and come back to visit eventually. I also love walking and spend a lot of time wandering around the city with my notebook, which means that I come across lots of interesting places. This isn't really a method - more serendipity - but I suppose I'm trying to say that you should keep your eyes open, because you never know what you'll find!

Of course, you also won't really know if the thrift store you plan to visit is a rich seam of goodness or a pile of smelly rubbish until you get there, but there are a few clues. Shops near university campuses will usually be picked to the bone, and probably pricey. This also goes for stores in the centre of town, and near major shopping centres. Try to find stores that are off the beaten track - particularly ones in an area where there is a larger elderly population. You're more likely to find vintage clothing there, rather than rack after rack of discarded (and poor-quality) high street brands. Personally, I have found small-town op-shops to be the best, and I always force my poor husband to stop at every one we pass when we're on a road trip.

I do not live in a magic land of perfect, vintage-filled thrift stores. I just go to an awful lot of them. That's the way to find the good stuff - going frequently, going to many different places, and digging. There are treasures to be found everywhere.

Getting equipped

1. Wear something unobtrusive ...

I don't know if it's the same in the States, but often the best thrift stores here in New Zealand are in some of the worst neighbourhoods. When I go thrifting I don't want to stand out too much, or look like I have a lot of money, for fear of attracting the wrong kind of attention.

2. ... and something comfy that you can slip on and off easily when you try things on.

I am hell on wheels when it comes to going shopping wearing something like dungarees or a top with a million complicated buttonings. It makes getting changed a nightmare. Of course, you can't plan good outfits for your impromptu trips, but when you're heading out on a dedicated thrifting mission, it's a good idea to wear something that's easy to change out of. I like to wear something slim-fitting, particularly, so that I don't even have to take all my clothes off to try on the garments. Some thrift stores can be a bit dodgy, with the odd weird person about, and the last thing you want is someone ripping open the changing-room curtain when you're only half-wearing a dress. It also means that you'll still be able to try the clothes on if there's no fitting room at all, or if the rooms are all full.

3. Wear comfortable walking shoes.

Well, naturally. You don't want your toes to start bleeding, as mine did on my last thrifting expedition. I learned a valuable lesson: do not walk 11 miles in new shoes.

4. Bring cash.

A lot of thrift stores will not accept cards, and it's not worth the risk. Imagine finding a stack of wonderful items and then having to leave them behind because you can't pay for them! Gah. Just the thought makes me anxious. And bringing cash on your thrifting expeditions also makes it more likely that you will stick to your budget: when you're handing over real, tangible money, it feels more like ... well, real, tangible money. You are less likely to be indiscriminate in your purchases. And spending vast amounts of money on thrifting isn't very thrifty.

5. Bring tote bags.

Most charity shops use donated plastic bags, and they will really appreciate you bringing your own. Proper tote bags are also less likely to break and drop all your treasures in the dirt.

6. This may sound a little obsessive, but think about taking a camera.

I usually carry my camera with me anyway, but it is extra-useful on thrifting trips for taking mirror shots when I'm trying something on. I don't trust my eyes. As any style blogger will know, taking a photograph of what you're wearing immediately highlights all its flaws; taking a photograph of a garment on your body does the same thing.

7. This may sound even more obsessive, but take a tape measure.

You'll get pretty good at telling at a glance whether a garment will fit you, but a tape measure could save you some time in the fitting room. If you can't tell if an item is your size, whip out the tape and have a quick measure. This will also prevent you from getting stuck in a dress, an experience that I think we've all had at some point. Memories of my times spent stuck-in-a-dress are flooding back, and they are unpleasant.

8. And you don't have to wear socks, but it's a good idea to take a pair with you if you're planning to try on shoes.

Just makes the whole process a bit nicer.

Planning your trip

1. Have a wishlist ...

I think we all have a mental list of items for which we're searching. Make it a physical list too, if you haven't already - write everything down. It will help to give your search some focus, and make it more likely that you'll spot your coveted item if it's there to be spotted.

2. ... but also keep an open mind.

Part of the fun of thrifting is coming across items you never expected to find - or to wear! Be prepared for this, and don't stick too rigidly to your list of desired items. (I have learned through bitter experience that I should trust my instincts. Whenever I've fallen in love with something, decided to be sensible, and left it behind, I have regretted it. Sometimes it's worth buying an item that speaks to you, even if you have no idea how you're going to wear it yet, or even if you'll wear it at all. Trust me, you'll find ways.)

3. Make a budget!

If you buy 100 items for $1 each, you are still spending $100. Don't be seduced by the low prices into spending too much money on supposedly 'cheap' things. Sticking to a budget keeps your thrifting appropriately thrifty ... although I do completely advocate going a bit over budget if you come across something life-changingly good. It has to be actually life-changing, though - the kind of garment over which you'll cry yourself to sleep for months if you don't get it.

4. Go early in the day! The earlier the better.

A sure way to beat all the other thrifty people who want to pick through the merchandise! If you can manage to go in on a week-day, even better.

Phew! And we haven't even arrived at the store yet. We'll go tomorrow. See you then!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...