Monday, February 8, 2010

The importance of hot beverages

9 Feb '10
Beret - vintage, thrifted
Trench - thrifted
Dress - 80s, thrifted, altered
Leggings - Glassons
Shoes - No 1 Shoe Warehouse


I have been working in cafes almost every day recently - I go through phases of doing this rather than working at home, particularly when I am feeling a bit Overwhelmed by Life and need to be away from the house. My beverage order at the cafe, however, varies according to mood. To whit:

1. When I'm feeling ferocious and energised ("Right, Book. It's just you and me. Are you feeling lucky? Go on, make my day,") I order a whole pot of plunger coffee meant for two people, and power through it by myself in an hour.
2. When I'm feeling relaxed and thoughtful, ready to consider different possibilities, look at the big picture and be open to change, I order a pot of Earl Grey and sip it slowly, making it last for as long as I can.
3. When I'm horribly stressed and on the verge of a panic attack, I order a chai latte to calm me down and help me concentrate. The scent of cinnamon is very soothing.
4. When I'm depressed and convinced that the book is the Worst Thing Ever Written, I order a hazelnut latte with extra syrup, cream and marshmallows.

This is a digression, but can I just complain very quickly about the lack of table service here? So few cafes do it. It's a real pain having to get up to order another coffee when you're hauling a laptop case and a pile of books around. I don't want to leave my handbag or laptop on the table while I order, because that would just be stupid, but then I have to carry them all up to the counter. And then back again. And someone may have stolen my table in the meantime, even if I have left my coat on the chair or a strategically placed notebook by my empty cup. It is very frustrating. All right, rant over.

Off I go! Today is an Earl Grey day, I think.

P.S. As I mentioned above, I am feeling a bit overwhelmed by current dramas in my life, and I'm afraid I've fallen behind in replying to comments. I do hugely appreciate every comment left, and I apologise for my late response - I'm going to try and catch up this afternoon and tomorrow! Thanks for your patience.
P.P.S. I have all these exciting things I want to tell you, but I can't yet! Some interesting pieces of news will be coming soon, I hope.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...