Sunday, September 20, 2009

Hermit day

Happy Monday, everyone! I love Mondays - I always start the week with renewed vim and vigour that fade slowly until, by Friday, I am a little puddle on the floor. Today, however, the vim and vigour are at maximum strength!

The central chapters of this book are my nemeses. I have been circling them warily for a couple of weeks now, retreating a few steps when they snap and growl, but it's time to brandish my tiny lion-tamer's chair above my head and face them head-on. In this case, my tiny lion-tamer's chair represents my determination to write the damn things, even if it means creating a Shitty First Draft. As one of my writing gurus, Timothy Hallinan, says, "The enemy is not the bad page. It is the empty page." So. The evil chapters are Chapters Ten to Eighteen, and they are in varying stages of completion and coherence. By the end of this week (she announces in ringing tones), they will be DONE. They might not be GOOD, but they will be DONE (and I can always make them GOOD later). Nine chapters in five days is possible, I think, especially if I become a hermit. And I like being a hermit, as long as someone slides coffee and food through the door periodically.

Today's job is to complete Chapters Ten and Eleven. Wish me luck.

P.S. Chapter Ten is now completed!
P.P.S. Finished Chapter Eleven as well. Woo-hoo!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...