Wednesday, April 20, 2011

New Zealand visit (2)

It was funny seeing my book in New Zealand shops - it makes it seem a lot more real, somehow, when it appears in familiar places. I used to work at the Paper Plus bookstore in Barrington Mall and I thought about going to see my book there, but chickened out. We went into the one in Merivale Mall, instead (just down the road from where I used to live), and Mum hijacked one of their 'Recommended' shelf-talkers to put under my book, much to my embarrassment. The book was on a high shelf, and so she struggled to reach it - but refused to give up, despite my entreaties! It got to the point where a sales assistant wandered over to investigate what we were going. I was melting into a little embarrassed puddle, but Mum told him I was the author and I ended up signing the copies they had. So, if you're in Christchurch and want a signed copy, Paper Plus at Merivale might still have some! Mums, eh?


Uncomfortable pose with book. "Mum, is someone coming? Take it quickly."

Mum treated me to a haircut, as well, as I was looking rather shaggy. Our hairdresser Michelle's salon, Kudos in Merivale Mall, was destroyed in the earthquake. She has set up shop a few doors down and is sharing the premises with another salon. If you happen to live in Christchurch and need a haircut, Michelle is just marvellous - and with all the stresses of the past few months, I know she would appreciate the support.




It was good to catch up with one of my best friends, Christina, at our old meeting-place (Coffee Culture), but strange to see the mall so torn and damaged by the quake. We used to live pretty much across the road from it. I didn't go to look at our old house, though - somehow I just couldn't bring myself to. The facades on Papanui Road have fallen, as you can see, making the buildings look like open dolls-houses, and it is too dangerous for the businesses to retrieve their stock. It is quite surreal to see stacks of shoeboxes teetering inside like that. (And a giant toadstool. No idea what that was for). People have attached notes and tributes to the security fences all over the city.





Surreal and sad, but uplifting, too, when you see the resilience and spirit of Christchurch's people displayed so openly.


Seeing Christina.

Hannah's house-bunny, Thumper.

Visiting Hannah.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...