Sunday, April 25, 2010

Austin: Day Two

We went to a bar in Old West Austin last night, and it was wonderfully Austin-y (Austinish?). There was a great live country band, dancing, and a ladies' loo made from a boxcar. I spent a lot of time reading all the graffiti on the toilet wall and then taking photographs of it, which garnered me some strange looks from fellow patrons. And an invitation to have dinner with one of them (declined). I can't remember the name of the place, though (I'm afraid it was that kind of night): if anyone recognises it, please tell me!








As you can imagine, we were in need of a hearty breakfast and a lot of coffee this morning. We headed down to Magnolia with our friends, and managed to get a table after about an hour's wait. Our friends told us that going out for breakfast on a Sunday is kind of an American tradition - it certainly seemed like every other person in Austin had had the same idea.



Magnolia again! Such a cool place. And amazing Eggs Benedict.

After breakfast, I popped in to New Bohemia. That place is absolutely amazing - as are the other vintage stores I've visited here. I am completely overwhelmed by the sheer number of garments and the low prices. Overwhelmed in a good way. And, naturally, I came away with another couple of vintage dresses. I need to start pacing myself a bit - we've only been here for two days!


New Bohemia, my spiritual home, on South Congress. And this is just a tiny, tiny section of it.

Art City Austin was on this weekend - we wandered the stalls this afternoon (some seriously great stuff), and I developed a new addiction to iced tea.

Outfit shot! I am hot and tired. Can you tell?

Dress - vintage, bought for $5 back in New Zealand
Shoes - Hannahs
Bag - vintage, a gift
Sunglasses - vintage, thrifted


And this evening seemed - to me, at least - to be our most Texan yet; we drove out of town to a barbecue restaurant called Salt Lick, where we ordered an all-you-can-eat array of ribs, steak, sausage, coleslaw, beans and potatoes. So much meat. They might as well have plonked a whole cow onto the table. The atmosphere was fantastic - bustling, lively, cheerful - and the enormous barbecues were pretty cool. I'm not a big meat-eater, but I really enjoyed the coleslaw and the yummy sauces. I think I've tried more different hot sauces over the past two days than I have consumed over the course of my life.



And this has nothing to do with anything, but I thought it was hilarious. Bear with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...