Thursday, April 1, 2010

Great Friday (and attention, denizens of Christchurch!)

2 Apr '10
Beret - vintage, thrifted
Cardigan - vintage, thrifted
Brooch - vintage, thrifted
Dress - vintage, thrifted (I sense a pattern developing)
Belt - vintage, thrifted
Petticoat - vintage, thrifted
Bag - vintage
Shoes - No 1 Shoe Warehouse


Happy Good Friday, everyone! I know that Good Friday isn't traditionally a happy day, but we get the day off, and therefore it is not just Good, but Great. I have eaten a lot of mini-Easter eggs today, and now feel a little bit nauseous, but happy.

I've been thrifting more often than usual over the past couple of weeks - and it didn't help that the office at which I was working was right down the road from one of my very favourite thrift stores. One of the dangers of thrifting is the accumulation of vast amounts of Stuff, made easy by the very low prices. Thrifting is also an exercise in relaxation for me, and it's very tied up in my identity - I think that I've been indulging more often because I feel a bit unsettled about our move. So much is going to change - some things for the better, of course, but it's still scary. For me, creating outfits is a way of asserting control over my world. I might not be able to control what happens during a day but, dagnammit, I can control what I'm wearing and how I feel about it. And a big part of that is experimentation with new items, which is where thrifting comes in. I'm going to cut down now that I have finished at the office for the time being, but my closet is bulging at the moment.

To counter-act this, I'm planning to hold a little sale at my house to sell off lots of my vintage pieces - the ones that I don't love enough to take with me to the US. It's invitation only, so if you are a blog reader here in Christchurch and would like to be included, please leave your email address in the comments (suitably disguised to avoid the spammers, of course) and I'll be in touch with the details when I have a solid plan. I'm planning to price items from $1 up to about $50 maximum, so there should be something for everyone! I'm also going to sell off some of my books - I used to work as a buyer for a book store, and I have managed to accumulate a huge collection of books that I've read once but don't want to read again (all my beloved books are coming to Austin, of course. Their numbers run into the thousands, so that should be interesting).

I hope you've all had (or are going to have, depending on your timezone), a relaxing day off.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...