Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Austin: Days Three and Four

I have a terrible sense of direction - like an ant in a matchbox. While LOML can arrive in a new city and instantly have his bearings, I will be wandering in the wrong direction and becoming confused. It took me years to feel confident finding my way around Christchurch without maps and detailed directions, and I think Austin is going to be the same! I went out to a Barnes and Noble store in the suburbs yesterday, and got horrendously lost while trying to find a Goodwill store I had passed en route. I ended up going in the opposite direction, heading away from the city and out to goodness-knows-where. Luckily I stopped at a very friendly bar, Sam's Boat, where I called LOML to come and rescue me and comforted my shaken nerves with a Corona or two. I did stop in at a Salvation Army store on the way home, though, and so that comforted me for my unintentional detour. LOML has now bought me a compass, and I purchased a gigantic Austin street atlas yesterday, so I'm hoping I won't get quite that lost again. Fingers crossed.

Last night, I was lucky enough to meet the beautiful Theresa, a bloggy friend who has been hugely helpful and kind to me while I plan my move. We had a drink at Bouldin Creek Cafe, on the corner of Elizabeth Street and South 1st - what a cool place! Intimidatingly cool, in fact - lots of arty people with iPads and carefully constructed holes in their clothing - and great fun. I really liked it. They also gave me the largest glass of wine I have ever seen in my life, which helped.



I have really fallen in love with the portion of the city that is south of the river. I can just picture myself working in one of the great cafes around there (stopping for a vintage-buying break, of course). We'll see, though. We're going to look at houses on Thursday, and I don't know where we'll end up yet.

Today I wandered around downtown, eventually ending up at Toy Joy and Buffalo Exchange on Guadalupe Street. Toy Joy has to be the best toy shop I have ever been in - I spent well over an hour wandering around looking at everything. I wish I could transport my eight-year-old self there - she would be in heaven.



Speaking of heaven - Buffalo Exchange. Wow. I have never been to one before, and I loved it. I found two fifties dresses, really stunning ones, and a gigantic red crinoline (don't ask me how I'm getting it home, because I don't know), for a ridiculously cheap price. Thrifting- and vintage-wise, this city gets a big thumbs-up from me. Of course, it gets a big thumbs-up in all the other areas too, so far.

27 Apr '10
Lazy day wandering around the city.

Blouse - thrifted, F21 via Buffalo Exchange
Belt - vintage
Jeans - '80s, thrifted
Shoes - no label, vintage, thrifted at the Austin Salvation Army store
Bag - vintage, gift from a friend

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...