Tuesday, May 4, 2010

On solid ground

So it turns out that I was a little premature in my assertion that I had escaped jet-lag this time around. My sleeping patterns definitely haven't quite recovered!

In a way it feels really strange to be back. Mentally, I have already half-moved to Austin, and so everything here seems translucent and removed, as if I am already remembering it rather than living it. I had this feeling in the months before I left Zimbabwe, too. Everything was tinged with nostalgia, even as I was experiencing it, because in my head I was already on the other side of the world. I miss the gorgeous weather, too! Heading back into winter is a little depressing - especially since I was having so much fun running around in shorts and rompers. Well, one romper. The only one on earth that doesn't make me look like a demented four-year-old with toilet training issues. Coming back to cold mornings and condensation on the windows makes me feel like zipping myself into a duvet for the duration of the cold season.

On the other hand, though, it is lovely to catch up with friends, and Mink has been euphoric at our return. He kept waking me up during the night for cuddles (endearing, but I think the charm will wear off if he tries it again tonight).

There is so much to organise now that we're back, too! Visas, removal companies, pet moving services, tax stuff, more tax stuff, endless paperwork, more paperwork, some additional paperwork. I have a pathological hatred of filling out forms. I also have to get my act together and take my full driver's test. I have been on my restricted driver's licence for four years now (in New Zealand you get your learner's first, then move on to a restricted after a practical test, then take your full. The full allows you to drive alone in the middle of the night and to carry passengers who don't have licences). I need to take my full licence test before I can drive in the States - I would still prefer to walk and bike as much as possible, but it is good to have the option to drive, too. Particularly if I am going to be spending as much time in South Congress as I would like!

On top of all this, I have a three-week sub-editing job starting from Monday - just in the mornings, and I'm very much looking forward to it - a new set of edits to work on for The Cry of the Go-away Bird, and a ferocious line-edit to do on New Book before the end of the month. These are all wonderful things that I greatly enjoy doing, but they all add up to a pretty busy month! There is also the Mother's Day High Tea and vintage fashion show this weekend (BUY TICKETS BUY TICKETS from Tete a Tete Vintage - how do you like my subtle subliminal messages?), which is going to be so much fun. I'm going to my first rehearsal for it this evening. Miss New Zealand is taking part in the show as well, and she is going to teach us to walk in a coordinated way. I'm going to try not to stand too close to her, to avoid the inevitable unflattering comparisons! (Just kidding). If you're in Christchurch, come along on Sunday and watch me fall over and drop things. It will be entertaining.

P.S. Thanks so much for all your comments while I was away - I couldn't keep up with replies while we were abroad, as I'm sure you can understand, but I'll try my best to stay up-to-date with them now.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...