Monday, May 3, 2010

San Francisco!

Sorry for the lack of posting over the past few days - we were so busy that there was absolutely no time! We arrived back in New Zealand this morning, and my internal clock is exceedingly confused. Mink, however, is thrilled - following me from room to room, chatting in a yowly voice. The flights on this trip have been amazing - being upgraded to Premium Economy both ways meant that we both actually got some sleep, for once. I hardly ever manage to sleep on long-haul flights. I feel relatively refreshed today because of it, which is bizarre - I feel like I should be completely exhausted and jet-lagged. Not complaining, though. It's great.

We spent our Thursday and Friday in Austin organising things for our move - exciting to do, but not very exciting to describe, I'm afraid. We did find a fantastic apartment, however - look at my closet space (and excuse the bad indoor photo)! I'm so excited.


We arrived in San Francisco on Friday night. After our busy week, we were thrilled to have a relaxing weekend with LOML and friends. LOML and I took a boat trip on Saturday morning to see the city from the water - spectacular! I particularly loved the Bay Bridge, and the sea lions on Pier 39.








I have met so many great people on this trip - among them the lovely Theresa and Amelia, who were so kind to me in Austin, and Micaela from The Drifter and the Gypsy, who met me on Pier 39 for coffee yesterday morning. It was so lovely to meet you, Micaela! We are definitely going to return to San Francisco - it is such an amazing city, with such a rich culture and such gracious architecture, and I would love to take the time to explore it properly. This time was an exceedingly fleeting visit. Micaela and I did have time to explore the pier, however, and to do a spot of shopping!


I shamelessly stole this photograph from Micaela's lovely blog, because I forgot to take any! The beautiful collaging is all her work.

On Saturday afternoon, we had a picnic with two friends of ours on the hills above the city. To get there, we drove over the famous Golden Gate bridge, which is one of those beautiful man-made structures that seems to actually complement and enhance the landscape rather than just fit into it. There was a jumper on the bridge that day, sadly - he was clinging to a pole when we passed (and he was surrounded by cops), and was still there when we returned to the city a good four hours later. I really hope he decided not to jump, but I'm afraid I don't know the outcome. It was a rather sobering way to experience the bridge, but our picnic on the hills was spectacular - if windy!





In the evening we went to the Top of the Mark - a hotel bar with an amazing view - for a drink, and then to a little Italian restaurant on Nob Hill for dinner. I wish I could remember the name of the restaurant, because it was wonderful. I met two gorgeous ladies there, too - Rozzalynd and Josephine Wiebe, stylish twins who have owned the Twins Armoire Boutique on Nob Hill since 1969. I approached them to compliment them on their amazing hats, and they told me that they had actually made them. So gorgeous. I didn't get a chance to visit their store while I was in San Francisco, but I definitely will on my next trip. If you happen to visit, stop by - it sounds wonderful!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...