Friday, May 27, 2011

A writerly Friday

The beautiful Rachael King.

My dear friend, mentor and role model (she's also a vintage lover and a mean swing-dancer!), Rachael King, wrote a lovely post about me here that has just made my week - which was especially lovely because so much of my week has been spent sick in bed! I met Rachael when I was doing my MFA at the University of Canterbury in 2008 and she was the Writer in Residence, a very grand title that made me quake at the knees when I stood outside her door waiting to meet her. I needn't have worried, though, because Rachael is warm and funny and very kind, and listened to my babbling very patiently. It was Rachael who referred me to the wonderful agent that we share, Vivien Green of Sheil Land Associates, and it was Rachael who answered all my newbie questions, gave me wise advice and guided me through the editing and publishing processes. I am so grateful to have met her.

Rachael has two novels currently available: The Sound of Butterflies and Magpie Hall, both of which are just gorgeous. If I had to choose a favourite, it would be Magpie Hall, purely because I love the tiger-skinning scene and the tattooing scenes!


I don't know if you have come across Sarah Laing's wonderful blog, Let Me Be Frank yet, but as well as being a very talented writer she draws hilarious cartoons charting the shark-infested waters of writing and publication. I particularly liked this recent one:

Sarah LaingImage copyright Sarah Laing.

Click here to read the rest of this story - and all the others! I just love her cartoons, and I know that you will too.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...