Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Death and taxes

Oh my goodness, I need to do my taxes soon. I can see the envelope staring at me from the table. I hate doing taxes, especially now that I'm doing freelance work.

Another productive morning at the cafe ... making a pot of tea and a frittata last two hours, trying to convince the waiter that yes, he can take away my empty cup and I won't be angry (strange boy) and writing. About another thousand words today, and a couple of powerful scenes. I took an unexpected turn with one of my characters this morning after a conversation with my advisor yesterday.
"So," he said, tapping the paper with his glasses, "What's going to happen to Oliver?"
"I'm not sure," I said, "Although I'm going to resolve it somehow."
"He needs to die, doesn't he?"
"Die? Well, no, I hadn't planned to kill him off."
And for the rest of that day I still didn't plan to kill him off. Then, when I started typing this morning I realised that actually he does need to die. So I wrote that scene this morning, and was very sad, because I like him, but his death makes a point that I need to make.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...