Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Let them eat cake

Today I have done very little actual writing. Perhaps five hundred words. I have, however, done a lot more plotting out of future chapters. It feels like a big tangly mess at the moment, but I know it will get better (that's what I'm telling myself). I feel like I need to take a bit of time to look at where I am, read over what I have so far and smooth it out. I made a cake this afternoon (which turned out burnt, but that's another story), and while I was creaming the sugar and flour and eggs together I was thinking about how I need to do the same thing with the novel - smooth all the bits and pieces and different chapters together so I have a good, even mixture before I (metaphorically speaking) pop it into the oven and turn it into a proper cake. This is where the metaphor falls apart a bit, because the real cake was great in the middle but charred around the outside, and I really don't want my novel to be like that. If it's even possible for a novel to be charred around the edges. I can't see how that would be a good metaphor for anything.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...