Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Meanwhile, back at the laptop

Total word count: about 39,000
Today's word count: 2,000. I'm pleased with my progress today, though, because I've really managed to tidy up Chapters Five and Six. A lot of this week has been back-tracking, after I merrily jumped all over the place last week writing scenes from all parts of the book, and filling in some of the blanks. A couple of great characters have sprung up from nowhere to make the whole process more enjoyable.
I still feel like I need to do a late night sometime soon to push my progress forwards ... for some reason I can concentrate really well at night after LOML has gone to bed and everything is dark and quiet. Fewer distractions, maybe? Next week is going to have to be very intense work-wise. I need to get some more pages to my advisor, and I'd like them to be good. I might be working over the weekend.
Cups of coffee: Only three, but one was double-shot espresso. Am thinking of putting another pot on shortly (but really must do some cleaning first ... housework has been sadly neglected this week. Luckily, over the years I have perfected the ability to vacuum, do the dishes and polish with one hand, so I can read at the same time).
What's playing: still Jukebox by Cat Power. Love that album.

I also managed to do my morning pages today - hurrah! It's meant to be three pages of longhand free writing before you start your day, but my attention span only runs to two pages. I find longhand very frustrating, because I can't write as fast as I think. Which means it's probably a very good exercise for me, as I'm forced to slow down. I'm going to try and get into the habit of doing these daily ... we'll see how it goes.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...