Sunday, February 17, 2008

Some thoughts on inadequacy

The books, blogs, films and magazines that I love are not those that fill me with dissatisfaction - the ones that are filled with beautiful, unattainable images and the message that I need something more before I am good enough. Whenever I'm in a waiting room and leaf through a fashion magazine or one of those trashy weeklies, I always feel worse for the experience. The media I really enjoy are those that show me a new way to appreciate or enhance what I already have, and connect in some way to the life I live. Notebook Magazineis a great example of this. The women it portrays are real women in real communities. They don't look perfect or have perfect lives, but they are strong, intelligent, resourceful and talented. There's a great article in this month's issue about a woman who runs a boutique store where she sells her own one-off creations and homewares sourced from all over the world. I love stuff like that. It makes me feel good about my life - like I'm leading a life that is useful and beautiful in some way - and it gives me role models.

I don't want to be told what clothes are must-haves this season, even though I love clothes. I don't want to look at pages and pages of products to improve my life. What I want is to find out how to wear the clothes I've got in the best way I can, and how to make the most of the life and things I already have.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...