Thursday, July 17, 2008

Be brave

Inspired by Leah's post on the always-inspiring Creative Every Day, I've decided to start doing Jessie's Be Brave Project. It is based on the famous quote by Eleanor Roosevelt - "Do one thing every day that scares you." Just one thing.

The rules are:
1) (most important:) MAKE YOUR OWN RULES.
2) Do this for yourself.
3) Make a commitment for the length of time that best suites YOUR needs - one day, one month, one year, one moment...it's all up to you, and you alone. ;)
4) The "brave" or "scary" things that you choose to do can be as big or little as you want them to be. Sometimes it's the little things that can be the most scary!
5) (not to quote Nike, but...) Just do it.
6) Be on your own schedule. You don't need to make a commitment until YOU are ready.
7) This is your unique journey - make it whatever you want it to be.

I tend to get tied up in knots about 'doing more', and feel guilty for not living up to what I think I 'should' be doing. This can be paralysing. If you focus on all the things you aren't doing, you forget to celebrate the things you do. Everyone has at least one challenge, big or small every day - I think this project is a way of acknowledging that challenge, and then acknowledging your victory over it.

I have struggled with depression and panic attacks for a long time. I don't really talk about it that often, because I do try and focus on the positive, but lately I have felt myself slipping into that paralysed, anxious state again where everything feels so overwhelming that I just want to stay indoors and hibernate. It's especially easy to do when the weather is cold and uninviting outside, and I have a job that requires me to spend a lot of time working on my own. Doing one thing every day that scares me is a way to break out of that feeling of helplessness and fear.

Anyway, I am going to take up this challenge for one month, and see how it goes! Today's One Thing is, of course, running the author's talk at university. Wish me luck. And if anyone would like to join me in this project, I'd love your company!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...