Friday, July 4, 2008

In the bleak midwinter ...

It has been snowing today - not in the exciting, White-Christmas way, but in the sleety, slushy, sludgy, onomatopoeic way that results in wet feet and a general sense of lassitude. Luckily I have nothing more to do today, and can snuggle up on the couch with soup and chocolate and watch a DVD with my husband.

I just finished the book Floor Sample by Julia Cameron (author of The Artist's Way, among other things, which was hugely helpful to me). It is not so much an autobiography as a memoir of her creative journey. I started reading it in the bookstore yesterday afternoon, then realised I had been standing in the same spot for almost an hour and should probably buy it so that I could continue reading in more comfortable circumstances. I see a lot of myself in her book, which is comforting. Reading the book gave me a few ideas about how to progress with the book, and with my creative life in general ... when I figure out how to word them in plain English, I'll let you know.

One thing I've decided, anyway, is that working on the revisions from home isn't, erm, working. It's too cold at the moment to work upstairs in the study, so I've been working at the dining room table. Which means I'm very close to the kitchen, which contains the fridge and the coffee machine and all kinds of lovely distractions. So I think on Monday I'm going to start working at the cafe again.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...