Friday, September 24, 2010

DIY Envelope Clutch

For LFW, I ditched my big handbag and took a small envelope clutch. I'm not going pretend it was 'liberatinggggg darling' to 'throw off the shackles of a big handbag yahhhh' because its a handbag innit. But while I was carrying it along I realised the simple construction it was and how easy it would be to DIY something similar. Today I saw this little clutch that Maria from Vanilla Scented had made herself and I knew it wasn't just me. So friggin easy. Take a long strip of leather or other stiff fabric (you could cut up a men's leather jacket if you wanted a really soft supple leather - they are always in thrift stores and are cheap). Choose the width based on the size you want your back - an oversized one would look great and would require a wide strip of fabric. Fold inwards into three, with the top third being shorter than the other two. Sew the edges of the two larger thirds together. Easy.
 
Images: Vanilla Scented

You obviously need a sewing machine for this which is annoying, but don't despair if you don't have one. I have one in Australia which is obviously no good to me given that I live in London, so I go to a place near me called the Make Lounge. Most of the times its the territory of hens parties and playgroup mothers -but it has a room of sewing machines and rents them out sometimes by the hour. Check in your local area - there may be something similar.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...