Sunday, September 19, 2010

Field trip: San Antonio

We spent the day in San Antonio yesterday! I had no idea what to expect, although I knew that of course we would visit the Alamo, and what I found was a city that actually reminded me a great deal of Christchurch: wide streets, gracious old buildings with gorgeous architectural detail, a sleepy river winding through the centre, and an almost European atmosphere, particularly along the River Walk. I would love to stay in one of the hotels overlooking the river one day - we looked up and saw people sitting on the wrought-iron balconies with their coffee, and it could have been a scene in Italy or Spain. It was lovely. I also really enjoyed the Alamo - it has been preserved with a lot of dignity and sensitivity, I think, and I was relieved not to find it transformed into a sort of Alamo theme park complete with tacky gift shops and rides. I mean, there were gift shops and (unrelated to the Alamo) rides nearby, but not actually IN the Alamo or very close to it, which was great. Thank you for your recommendations on Twitter, everyone - we visited El Mercado because of you, and loved it! Impression greatly enhanced by the lone couple dancing the Texas Two-step right in the middle of the square. There was only one damper on proceedings (har har) when the heavens opened and a torrential tropical rain started to fall. We thought it would ease off. It didn't. Oh well. It was still a fantastic day, even if cut a little short.

The Alamo!

This cactus fascinated me.

Part of one of the most beautifully twisted trees I have ever seen, over the well inside the Alamo's walls.

The San Antonio River Walk.

Some people choose not to walk it.

I just liked this.

Lunch! At one point there was actual food there, but not for long.


Gorgeous bunting along the eaves of the buildings in El Mercado.

The Main Plaza.

We got thoroughly rained on by a sudden and torrential downpour, and then made a friend while sheltering.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...