Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Things of various sorts

Thing One

I am working on something new.

Erk. I feel guilty just saying that.

I know that I am not meant to be working on something new. (Although, where does this 'I'm not meant to' idea come from? There are no rules saying that I can't take a Busman's holiday. And yet there's this guilt.) I am generally a supporter of the theory that you need to ignore the Shiny New Idea until the Painful Current Slog is completed, holding it out in front as a treat for when you have finished. Usually, for me, working on two projects causes nothing but conflicted loyalties and lack of progress on each. At the moment, though, I am working on Current Book in the mornings, getting a fair whack of the rewrites out of the way, and then working on my Young Adult book in the afternoons. The YA book is the same one I started last year during Nanowrimo (and yes, I will be setting up another Nanowrimo group this year - mark your metaphorical calendars if you want to take part).

Here's why I'm finding it helpful to work on another book as well as the main one right now:

1. It silences the voices in my head.

The critical voices, not the ones that tell me to burn things. Those ones are still alive and well (kidding. Maybe). Since I am not necessarily picturing this book as being published, I can tell my inner critic to shut up when it starts helpfully pointing out problems with the language or potential plot holes. And I can ignore it with impunity - this is a side project. I can screw it up completely if I want to, and it doesn't matter. At least, that's what I tell myself.

2. It's a 'just for fun' project.

I can let my imagination do whatever it wants to do, like a happy toddler let loose on the finger paints. Which is nice as a relief from the pressure I've been feeling lately.

3. It doesn't require any research or fact-checking.

The setting and events in this book exist only in my head, which is a nice change from Current Book. No one is going to come and whack me on the hand with a ruler if I get a date wrong or describe something inaccurately, because it is my world and I make the rules.

4. I am still getting my 'real' work done.

Important point! And it's so much fun to be doing something so wholly different from the last two books.

Thing Two

The Austin Teen Book Festival is this Saturday! I love Young Adult literature - in fact, The Cry of the Go-Away Bird crosses over into that category, somewhat, as it is narrated by a teenager. I am particularly excited about seeing Kiersten White, whose wonderful blog and Twitter feed I have been following for a long time now, and whose debut YA novel, Paranormalcy, is on the New York Times bestseller list. Catherine Jinks is also going to be there - have you read Evil Genius? Such a great book, and I am hugely excited about reading the sequels, Genius Squad and Genius Wars. Also, so relieved that the story didn't end with the first book, because it left Cadel in such a depressing place. If anyone here in Austin would like to meet me there, drop me a line in the comments. Be aware, though, that I am going to be hugely embarrassing and get very starstruck by all the authors. Just warning you.

Thing Three

I have listed more items on my Etsy, and more will be coming over the next couple of days (including some great vintage dresses). I am fund-raising for my trip over to London for the book's release in February - I'm going to be traipsing around on public transport and staying in hotels for some of the time, and in an unexpectedly adult and uncharacteristic move, I'm preparing for it now.

Thing Four

This is unrelated to anything important, but our shipment from New Zealand that was meant to arrive next week is now only arriving towards the end of October. Which means that we will be sleeping on a sofa bed and cooking with only one pot for a further three weeks. This is a little frustrating, but comes smack bang under the heading of "Can't Do Anything About It."

Thing Five

Yellow! Yesterday and today. The great thing about vintage is that it really does put you in a storytelling mood - the clothes themselves have stories, and it's really the closest you can get to wearing a narrative without being in full costume.

28 Sep '10
Cardigan - H & M, thrifted
Blouse - Jay Jays, thrifted
Skirt - vintage, thrifted
Shoes - vintage Selby, thrifted
Brooch - vintage, gift from SilviCi


29 Sep '10
Dress - vintage ('50s), thrifted
Belt - vintage, came with another dress
Shoes - Zara


I haven't actually glued Mink to that spot, but it's where he likes to spend most of his time. He can see the outside world and yet remain (so he thinks) completely undetected. He imagines he is a ninja.

P.S. Our home Internet connection is down, so I may be late in responding to comments and emails for the next couple of days.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...