Friday, July 29, 2011

An Austin family outing

LOML's parents are visiting us from New Zealand this week, and so we have been showing them the sights here in Austin! I'm afraid I haven't been the best tour guide - I've had a dreadful cold - but it has been fun to introduce some more Kiwis to our new home. On Wednesday we went to the Zilker Park Botanical Gardens, which neither LOML nor I had visited before either, and it was just beautiful. I love the dry, hot landscapes here - they really remind me of my home in Zimbabwe. I feel much more comfortable in this sort of arid scenery, with its succulents and dry grasses, than I did in the lush greenery of New Zealand. New Zealand is absolutely stunning, of course, and I loved it - it just didn't feel like the landscape of my childhood, as Texas does.

LOML and his father are both very accomplished photographers (unlike me and my shameful lack of skills), so a lot of the shots I took feature them taking photographs of other things ... all very post-modern. 'In and out, among the dots.' (Did anyone else read and love The Mouse and His Child by Russell Hoban when they were younger?).

LOML's parents.













No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...