Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Jesus & Paul

Two weeks ago Jana and I were at my favorite place in the world, the Chautauqua Institution in Chautauqua, NY. Chautauqua is sort of a Disneyland for intellectuals. The day Jana and I were there Michael Sandel was lecturing.

We were sitting in the Hall of Philosophy (like I said, Disneyland for intellectuals) waiting for Sandel to start. Historically, Chautauqua is rooted in the Christian tradition but it is very ecumenical. People from a wide range of faiths are there. This is relevant because while we were waiting an older lady came and sat next to me, looked over and then asked what I was reading.

"Ancestral Sin by John Romanides," I say. "It's a Greek Orthodox view on what Western Christians call Original Sin which the Orthodox don't believe in."

"Well, I'm Jewish," she says with a laugh, "I guess don't believe in either one."

"I guess not," I say, "Just think of it as a bunch of Christians trying to make sense of the first couple of chapters of the Torah."

She nods then says, "You know who really screwed up the relationship between Christianity and Judaism?"

"Who?" I ask.

She leans in and whispers, "It was that bastard St. Paul."

I laugh and nod in understanding. We then had a wonderful conversation about the relationship between the life and teachings of Jesus with the theology of Paul.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...