Friday, November 5, 2010

DIY Wardrobe Rehab Step 3 - Wardrobe Essentials


Find the other steps in the Wardrobe Rehab series here.
I guess the first thing for me to say is that this post has been inspired by Dead Fleurette's amazing style blog. She has such simple style, and only buys 3/4 items every season! As a result she has the french simple/chic look down pat with the most lovely essentials, and she has inspired me to buy less and better quality. In addition to this post, you couldnt go wrong having a long read through her blog. Would love to have a chic wardrobe like her's one day!

Wardrobe essentials are the staple items in your wardrobe that you wear regularly and make special by mixing with different colours, trends, accessories etc. If you read blogs or fashion magazines you will have seen many a '10 things every woman needs' article, some helpful and others a barely disguised attempt to push a micro trend down our throats by labelling it an 'essential' (FYI sunday times style, I do not think I NEED a blue pair of suede boots).

This post by Garance Dore about wardrobe essentials is great, as she does a fantastic job of categorising what an essential really is - an item that is the starting point of any good outfit. The comments at the bottom of her post where other people have listed their own essentials is also interesting - you can see how everyone differs!

For that reason noone else's list will really tell you what your wardrobe essentials are, it will come down to your body, your style and a whole host of other things. What you can do, though, is determine your own list, based on what you love wearing and what looks good on you. Up until a couple of years ago I didn't think about basics at all and always purchased items I loved but that I found didn't go with anything in my wardrobe (it was a bit of a clashy mess in there truth be told!). Since then, I have haphazardly developed my list of essentials by trial and error, and by seeing what's in my suitcase when I have tp pack light. Writing this post I have tried to analyse what the important 'essential' items are in my cupboard, so here's my list.

Well fitted black blazer (cropped just below the hips)
Blue/grey skinny jeans
Black skinny high waisted pants
Neutral coloured singlets and three quarter length tops (I don't go for tees much)
Nautical striped boat neck tops
Black, high waisted full mini skirts
Black and tan high waisted mini shorts
Black bodycon dress
Black leather jacket
Black and white herringbone winter jacket
Black opaque and sheer spotted tights
Patent black heels (with a toe that's midway between pointed and round)
Black ankle heeled boots + suede wedge boots
Black flat brogues and ballet flats
Wide brim fedora hat
Tan and black skinny belt.
Black pashmina scarf

Along with a few patterned and coloured bodysuits and shirts, the above list is all I would need to dress well - and I have continued to cull my wardrobe recently with this in mind. In relation to the colour of your wardrobe essentials, I usually stick to a neutral colour palette - black, white, camel, navy or beige being easy ones, so that I can then mix in coloured items and accessories. What are your wardrobe essentials? I'd love to know!
Images: Knock you for Six, Jak and Jil, Excessive Consumption, AfterDRK, Moodboard

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...