Monday, November 8, 2010

DIY Weekly - Leather Collar Necklace

My favourite DIY to date has to be this leather collar necklace. So cute and so SERIOUSLY easy. You could probably do this even if you didn't have opposable thumbs. I was inspired to make one when I saw something similar in a shop on Upper Street, and took a few pics of it on my iphone because it looked pretty easy to make - trying to hide from the shop assistant because you can never be sure in those small shops whether they want you to rip off their designs or not.... I'm guessing not. When I got home, I used the tiny pic on my phone to help me make a template for the collar out of denim.
Here's how I did it:
1. I did a rough sketch on some denim using the pic I took of the £75 inspiration collar to decide the correct shape. I was surprised how easy it was to get the shape right actually. I think it only took me ten minutes.
2. I cut out the denim collar and tried it on to check the shape and size. I then traced the template onto some leather I had left over from another DIY (I have done atleast half a dozen DIYs from the leather from a pair of trousers I turned into shorts)
3. In terms of dimensions, take a look at the pic above.
4. A belated shot of the materials you'll need (haha). scissors check! chalk check! leather check! hook and eye check! (hook and eye not shown, don't worry you're not blind).
5. Cut the leather out.
6. Round the bottom edges as shown. The above is the final shape. Mine had a funny seam at the back from the trousers that isn't ideal but it was fine in the end.
7. Sew on the hook and eye fastening as shown, on the underside with the hook and eye bits just showing under the edge.
8. Voila! You're leather collar is done. When wrapped the neck the collar takes shape!
And here's me wearing it... Don't ask what was in the glass, I can't exactly remember. Definitely juice and soooommmething. Think I will make it out of some white leather to wack over the top of bodycon dresses. Add sequins/beads for sparkle.

Thanks to Natalie of Canned Fashion for taking the pics!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...