Friday, November 19, 2010

Treasured Maps

Preparations for leaving London are in full swing, and the culling of material possessions has never been so frenzied. Its great to have a clear out and know that the things that you are taking home or on your next adventure are going to only be things that you love love love. That said, I have been looking around for things to take with me to always remind me of London (along with the bits and pieces I already have - I'll do a little post on that soon). My absolute favourite pub in London, the Charles Lamb has the most amazing and inspiring artwork, mostly vintage maps of London, New York and Paris. There are also a few amazing modern pieces including Stephen Walter's 'The Island' - a wall sized sketch of the whole of London drawn as an island. A-maze-ing. The detail is so exquisite. Here's a small pic of the whole thing, but if you want to experience the amazing-ness in person head down to the Charles Lamb in Angel (I am happy to share this gem with you now that I am leaving - its one of those places you want to keep all to yourself in fear of not getting a table for sunday lunch). He has obviously done so much research into the whole of London, drawing little pictures and images of landmarks across the city.
I found on Stephen's website gorgeous borough area prints - the Islington one is definitely something I would take home with me, something to treasure forever. Available here at Tag Fine Arts.
There is also an amazing map of the pubs in London in the Charles Lamb, a tiny and unassuming image that is so well thought out it takes you 20 minutes of sitting next to it to work of what it is. I've also come across some very sweet map makers on Etsy, these printed ones are very pretty here. I love the one below of London. Such a simple and effective artwork concept.
 I know its pretty stereo typical for a town planner to like maps - but what can you do?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...