Thursday, June 5, 2008

Colouring

Cups of coffee: two
What's playing: Yael Naim and Camille

Well, I feel a little better about the book. I'm in a strange place this week - I'm not ready to start work on the revisions yet, but I don't much feel like doing anything else either. I have made lots of notes on the first read-through, and I can see a lot of things that need to be addressed (mostly plot and structure issues, as well as a host of awkward sentences, weird metaphors and the like). I can also see that I need to go through and sort of enrich the whole thing - build up atmosphere, make it more seductive. Like colouring in a black-and-white drawing.

I want this book to be worthwhile, not just another blip on the publishing radar. And I want it to do justice to its subject and setting. I'm terrified that I won't be able to.

I'm working on the YA novel intermittently, but fairly half-heartedly. I also have a short story that is rapping me on the back of the head saying 'Write me!', but I'm rapping it right back saying 'Not today'.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...