Sunday, June 22, 2008

A Load of Old Rubbish

I

I wonder what happens to all we throw away?
In a typical day
I throw out cotton balls, tissues, empty soda cans
All the other paraphenalia that spans
A comet tail behind a life- What
A lot
Of equipment we need.

What a lot of rubbish I generated!
But of course it’s all fated
To end up somewhere or other,
A modern-day Golgotha.
Still, I’m clean
My house is clean
It’s really none of my business.

And what a streamlined life I lead!

II

I think when I’ve cleared out every last
Cobweb, stuck Elastoplast
On every scab
Hid traces of the drab
Garbage in my pedal bin,
Thrown out that old baked bean tin,
Deep-cleansed my skin
Cleaned out my closet
And made a deposit
I’ll be able to get on with my life.

A week ago I bought some free-range eggs
That, if I’m honest, are on their last legs
They’re eco-friendly but already late;
A little past their sell-by date.

III

Well isn’t this splendid?
(a question rather open-ended)
I spring-cleaned from top to bottom
Then again in case there was something I had forgotten.
I have a fat, complacent sack
Of loot for the nice rubbish men to stack.

IV

My skin’s clear and glowing
My wardrobe showing
No rip, rent or tear
And no sign of wear
My hair’s lovely and clean
My house is pristine.

And all the rubbish has been
Flushed
Pushed
Drained
Strained
Contained
Or otherwise
Disposed of.

V

Still;
I have a nightmare
That one day I’ll forget to clean.

Then
Like a volcano
The rubbish will erupt back in

And
All of the neighbours
Will see me as I really am

Covered in
Grime
Slime
Crisppacketssodacanstissuescottonballscrust
Chickenlegscobwebsmilkcartonsdeadfliesrust
Ancientcheesetamponsdirtybathwaterspidersdust
Angermeannessignorancedishonestyandlust
And turn from me in horror and disgust.

VI

You see
Dirt always comes back.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...