Sunday, June 22, 2008

Fathers and father figures

As you probably know, Zimbabwe's opposition leader, Morgan Tsvangirai, has withdrawn his party from the run-off election. I am sad, but I understand. There has been such a calculated and widespread campaign of violence and intimidation that there is no way the elections would be free and fair. Perhaps it is better for him to withdraw. It certainly seems to have drawn international attention to how horrific the happenings of the last couple of months have been.

I am very worried about my book and how my father is going to feel about it. I know that the character of the narrator's father is an amalgam of several people, but will he? He is one of the most easily offended people ever. We have been estranged on and off for the last four or five years, but things have started to get better again ... and I really don't want to slide back to that dark place. But I also don't want to dilute the book for the sake of not offending someone. I'm not really sure what to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...