Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Revising the novel ...


This is where I am sitting this afternoon. This is what I am doing. I have a strong sense of deja vu, because ... well, I'm not getting a lot of work done. And this reminds me of when I first started actually writing the book, and I would do about five seconds of work before doing one or all of these things:
1) Making coffee
2) Drinking coffee
3) Staring off into space
4) Checking my email needlessly
5) Surfing the web
6) Skimming through my playlist in search of the magical song that will enable me to write brilliantly
7) Cleaning something that probably should never be cleaned, like the back of the toilet cistern
8) Chewing bits of skin off my cuticles
9) Playing with the cat
10) Writing a blog post about how I can't concentrate
And it's even worse now, because I am heartily sick of the book. Much in the same way as you would be sick of a roommate who leaves his clothes on the floor and toothpaste all over the bathroom and keeps you up with his snoring. The book and I have been living in close quarters for too long.

I think I need some sort of system. While I was creating the book I used word count as a way of measuring my progress. I need something similar for the revision process, to give me a sense of forward momentum and achievement. I will have a think about it and come up with something amazingly efficient (I hope). For now, I'm going to stop procrastinating and get back to work.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...