Monday, August 23, 2010

Ahoy!

Today is an at-home, busy-like-a-really-tall-bee kind of day. I'm going to email the completed manuscript of my latest novel to my agent at the end of the day, so I'm finishing it up this morning - I can't wait to have it done and sent off, and to start work on something new! I'm pretty happy with how it's looking - the perspective gained by moving to the other side of the world has really helped. Perhaps I should always move thousands of miles when it's time for a final edit. I'm also looking forward to shoving this set of characters out of my head for a while so that the new set who have been clamouring for attention can move in.

I have established a little routine here already. Since it gets so hot in the middle of the day, I head down to the cafe at about 7:30am and order a large coffee (we don't have a coffee machine in the apartment yet. Starting to think it is essential for survival). I sit at one of the outside tables and work until about 11:30am, enjoying the warmth. Then I head home and potter about doing various other jobs, possibly even having a siesta, until it cools down again (ish) in the late afternoon and I can concentrate again. So far it has been working wonderfully well - even though having a bookstore so close by has been rather dangerous for the wallet.

I am also pottering about our new place, cleaning and doing the laundry (it's amazing how much mess we can generate while essentially just camping out in the apartment). This is incredibly prosaic, but I really enjoy doing laundry here - it dries so quickly! Almost as soon as I've hung it out! Such a change from our house in Christchurch, where laundry would sit on the clothes horse for days at a time and still be slightly damp. Boring to hear about, I'm sure, but moderately exciting in real life.

Edit: Finished the book! Sent it off! Now the neurotic and obsessive worrying can begin.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...