Friday, August 27, 2010

Your Teacher Eats with Tax Collectors and Sinners: Welcome to ACU's Cornerstone

Over 10 years in the planning, ACU launched our new General Education curriculum designed to equip students to think about faith and truth from an interdisciplinary perspective. ACU's Core curriculum begins with first semester freshmen in a class called Cornerstone. Kicking Cornerstone off each week is a Spotlight talk in Cullen Auditorium.

This week it was my privilege and honor to kick Cornerstone off by giving the first Spotlight talk entitled "Your Teacher Eats with Tax Collectors and Sinners: You, Cornerstone and the Mission of ACU." The goal of the talk was to introduce the students to interdisciplinary thinking as I talked about my research on disgust and contamination. (And, I guess this is as good a time as any to announce this, I have a book coming out with Cascade on this very topic. The title of the book, right now, is Unclean: Meditations on Purity, Hospitality and Mortality.)

You can see my Spotlight talk at the Cornerstone Portal where you'll also find resource links related to my talk. You can check out the Portal each week to follow the Spotlight speakers and the conversation our freshmen are having this semester in Cornerstone.

It's an exciting time to be at ACU.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...