Tuesday, October 26, 2010

DIY Wardrobe Rehab


Flying to Rome on Ryanair (possibly the most aggressive budget airline EVER) recently and not wanting to pay the thirty pound each way fee to bring a hold bag, I was forced to travel extremely lightly. I ended up taking the capsule version of my capsule wardrobe (and wearing two coats on the plane haha - talk about cheap). What I realised when I was there was that the well matched things I had packed were more than enough to see me out for 5 days in style, and possibly quite a few more. I came to the conclusion from this experience that I have wayyyy too much in my bulging wardrobe, a lot of which I rarely wear, even after the huge cull I did a couple of months ago.

I have decided that my move to Hong Kong is the perfect opportunity to rehabilitate and redevelop my wardrobe. Over the next couple of weeks, I am going to be working through the 6 Wardrobe Rehab Steps. where I'll essentially be going on a shopping detox (dont worry, no DIY ban has been put in place), throwing out/selling anything that I'm not 100% sure I'll wear, and building a better profile of my style and essentials so I can cut down on buying things I will rarely wear.

The 6 Wardrobe Rehab Steps
  1. Culling
  2. Re-Organising
  3.  Defining your style
  4.  Wardrobe Essentials
  5. Colours and trends
  6. Focusing your shopping

I hope you will follow along too if you feel that your wardrobe is in disarray and suffering from over-indulgence. At the end of these steps the aim is to have a well organised wardrobe that is full of useable and well-matched outfits. Visualise how good it would be to have Cos, Whistles or Zara style coordination in your wardrobe with perfect colours, essentials and basics at hand. To get this you don't have to run out and buy more things as the basis for this fantastic wardrobe is lurking in the depths of your current wardrobe (or in the pile on the floor in my case...) and just needs rehabilitating. Why buy when you can DIY your wardrobe?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...