Saturday, October 9, 2010

DIY Weekly - Leather Mini Shorts from Trousers

Here are the buttery leather trousers I bought this week for three quid that, because I didn't try them on, turned out to look pretty rubbish when I took them home - due to a boot leg that couldn't be DIYed into a straight leg (sad face). I already have a pleated, more roomy, pair of leather shorts,  so I happily turned these ones into (tight) leather shorts. I know there are always heaps of not-quite-right leather trousers in the charity shops that I got to so don't pay through the nose for leather mini shorts. DIY them!
Here's how to do it:
1. Put trousers on in the mirror and draw a line with chalk to indicate how long you want them to be.
2. Take them off and cut them off a few inches down from the line you drew (always airing on the side of caution).
3. Roll the hems over, checking the length in the mirror.
4. Sew the roll. You can also glue the edge if you would prefer, glue is often used to secure leather at hems etc. I didn't actually bother doing either, the roll stays in place when they are on anyway.
I got my boyfriend to help me check the length when I put them on, although his answer to the question 'are these too short' is always 'no' so I have to take his responses with a grain of salt. They ended up being pretty damn short, although they had to be to reduce the 'leather cycle shorts' look. (I apologise for so much thigh action so early on a Sunday). Now I have some leather left over to do some other DIYs with, so stay tuned.

Ps. Have you entered my LFW Mulberry Tote Giveaway? Looking forward to giving it away to one lucky reader so get to it!

Pss Is anyone else addicted to Cheryl Kerl's Twitter?  Possibly the funniest thing ever.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...