Sunday, October 24, 2010

DIY Weekly: Autumn Hued A-line Mini

For the last month or so I have been watching the leaves growing on the wall outside our house change colour, taking on the most beautiful deep magenta colour. Is it just me, or is Autumn making you pine for these rich tones of red and burnt orange? I was in Mango last week and the definitely have their finger on the Autumnal pulse. But as I always say, 'people who can't buy, must DIY'. With these colours in mind, last week I picked up a wine coloured wool A line skirt that was screaming out to be DIYed into a mod looking a-line mini. Being short on time but big on ideas, I cheated when I shortened this skirt and used hemming tape to secure the hem. If you haven't used hemming tape before, I suggest you go out and buy some, it is soo good for quick DIYs and emergency hem fixes. The tape is basically a strip of dry glue that, when ironed between two strips of fabric (like a hem), sets and secures the fabric.

Before:
How to:
1. I checked the length of the skirt I wanted, marking with chalk.
2. I cut off the excess section of skirt, leaving a few inches allowance for the hem.
3. I pinned and ironed the hem down (making sure to roll the fabric over twice so that the frayed edge was covered).
4. Between the rolled hem and the fabric I placed the hemming tape and then ironed flat (make sure that the tape does not come in contact with the surface of the iron, it will liquidize and it is VERY hard to get off, just ask the iron I ruined last year).
5. Finally I secured the hem with a few small stitches. Voila!
After:
I've been getting lots of wear out of my suede thigh high boots from Zara since the weather has cooled down. They were the best purchase ever (£35 on ebay yum!).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...